By the time you have made it to this site, you have probably heard a wide range of reasons to pick LED grow lights over HID grow lights for hydroponic nutrients – some of it is true, some of it is hype, I am sure. The best thing to do is take both sides of the argument and split the difference. Take some time to research the results from independent testing (especially when comparing the offerings of different LED grow light manufacturers).
If you choose from among the best LED Grow Lights on the market, you can look forward to the following benefits:
- Energy Savings – The first thing that you see when looking at LED grow lights is claims of efficiency. While some claims are overstated, you can expect to see a 40% to 75% decrease in electricity costs when you switch from HPS or MH grow lights
- Near Zero Heat Signature – There are entire websites dealing with how to mitigate the overwhelming heat generated by HID grow lights. Because of their advanced architecture, LED grow lights emit very little heat and most come with modest built-in fans to keep the chips cool. No more burned leaves, no more excessive dehydration, and . . .
- No Expensive Accessories – Ballasts, reflectors, heat removal systems, fans . . . they all cost money and add up very quickly. On top of that, these items do break down over time and replacement costs cut into your potential profit. LED grow lights eliminate the need for these things
- Exceptional Life-Span – With an average lifespan of 50,000 to 100,000 hours, LED grow lights continue to pay for themselves over time. Compare this to HPS grow lights that need to be replaced as often as every 5000 hours and the choice is obvious.
- Near 100% Efficiency – At best, an HID light is only 35% efficient which means nearly 2/3 of the light produced is totally wasted as heat or as light that is not used in photosynthesis. With well-researched LED Grow Lights, you can achieve 90% or better efficiency because the light produced falls within the spectra of Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR). This just means plants can use the light created by LED grow lights directly for photosynthesis.