LED Grow Lights
You won't find any hype or controversy here. Just solid information about using LED grow lights and where to buy them. Whether this is your first time ever growing indoors or you are looking to switch from your current HID lights, keep reading and make an informed decision.
Who Should Use LED Grow Lights?
While the reasons to use LED grow lights are numerous, the applications in which LED grow lights really shine are even more so. Users of LED Grow Lights experience great results both in hobby gardens as well as in commercial settings.
Sustainable Urban Farming & Greenhouses
While rooftop gardening and urban farming plots have been around for years, there is a distinct new trend in food production - sustainable urban farming indoors. It can be as simple as setting up a small plot in your basement to large operations buying up warehouse space on the order of 100,000 or more square feet. The combination of hydroponics and LED grow lights really reduce the carbon foot print of such gardens while providing healthy, sustainable food year round to the local population. LED grow lights can be used as the primary source of lighting in basement & urban warehouse conditions as well as supplemental lighting for greenhouses to extend the growing season. Works on everything - from greens to flowering fruits and vegetables. Read More . . .
Algae Production For Biofuel, Food, & Pharmaceuticals
The battle for a renewable and sustainable energy source has been raging for decades with little progress, until now. Research has shown that algae is capable of producing 10 to 20 times more gallons of biodiesel per acre than any other known source. In addition to supplying fuel on a large scale, algae can be cultivated by small-scale farmers to off-set increasing fuel costs on family farms. As another benefit, the byproduct of rendering oil from algae is a high protein and carbohydrate solid that can be used as animal feed and pharmaceutical supplements or further processed into ethanol.
Crisis Gardening & Off Grid Applications
With each era that passes there groups of people who are determined to not only survive but thrive in the perilous times in which we live. Having a crisis garden is one easy way to ensure you and your family have enough food to weather tough times. Lets face it, crisis gardens are quickly becoming the Victory Garden of the new millennium. However, depending on your geography, you may not have the luxury of a long growing season or you may wish to keep your crisis garden more private. With LED grow lights, it is now possible to extend your growing season or grow completely indoors if desired.
General Hobby Gardening
Gardening enthusiasts have something to be excited about because LED grow lights enable you to enjoy your hobby year round regardless of weather. From growing fresh herbs and produce for cooking, starting plant seedlings in the spring for transplant, to more exotic pursuits such as growing bulbs, bromeliads, tropical plants, and even orchids, LED grow lights are up to the task. The intensity and coverage area of the best LED grow lights on the market makes it possible to grow any plant from basic lettuce to light-intensive plants such as watermelons, carnivorous plants, and cactus.
LED Grow Lights - The New Standard
After several years of research and releasing new, improved models, LED grow lights have established a firm foot hold in the grow light market, proving themselves as much more than a fad gadget. Current iterations of LED grow lights can go head-to-head against their HID counterparts, matching and exceeding the yields and grow quality.
Choosing The Best LED Grow Lights
When deciding on the right LED grow lights for you, please take some time to look at as much information as you can. What I have found is that those that are most vocal in their grow light's abilities are the ones to stay away from. When you find a company that lets it product stand on its merits and abilities instead of hype about uber-penetration and 400% yield increase, that is the company to go with.
LED Grow Light Review
If you are looking for reviews on LED grow lights, then look no further as I actually have several on this website.
- LED Grow Light Review - General Discussion Of 2011 Models
- Brand Specific LED Grow Light Reviews - Top brands such as ProSource, 357 Magnum, Hydro Grow LED, and California Lightworks are now available while testing of other LED grow lights is underway.
If you are interested in LED grow lights for cannabis, check out The Cannabis Grower's Guide To LED Grow Lights. This multi-part guide is updated frequently with new sections, so be sure to bookmark this page.
By the time you have made it to this site, you have probably heard a wide range of reasons to pick LED grow lights over HID grow lights - some of it is true, some of it is hype, I am sure. The best thing to do is take both sides of the argument and split the difference. Take some time to research the results from independent testing (especially when comparing the offerings of different LED grow light manufacturers).
If you choose from among the best LED Grow Lights on the market, you can look forward to the following benefits:
- Energy Savings - The first thing that you see when looking at LED grow lights is claims of efficiency. While some claims are overstated, you can expect to see a 40% to 75% decrease in electricity costs when you switch from HPS or MH grow lights
- Near Zero Heat Signature - There are entire websites dealing with how to mitigate the overwhelming heat generated by HID grow lights. Because of their advanced architecture, LED grow lights emit very little heat and most come with modest built-in fans to keep the chips cool. No more burned leaves, no more excessive dehydration, and . . .
- No Expensive Accessories - Ballasts, reflectors, heat removal systems, fans . . . they all cost money and add up very quickly. On top of that, these items do break down over time and replacement costs cut into your potential profit. LED grow lights eliminate the need for these things.
- Exceptional Life-Span - With an average lifespan of 50,000 to 100,000 hours, LED grow lights continue to pay for themselves over time. Compare this to HPS grow lights that need to be replaced as often as every 5000 hours and the choice is obvious.
- Near 100% Efficiency - At best, an HID light is only 35% efficient which means nearly 2/3 of the light produced is totally wasted as heat or as light that is not used in photosynthesis. With well-researched LED Grow Lights, you can achieve 90% or better efficiency because the light produced falls within the spectra of Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR). This just means plants can use the light created by LED grow lights directly for photosynthesis.
Need More Information On LED Grow Lights?
I strive to provide thorough and accurate information at all times. If you have any question about the information on this site or wish to have a topic covered in a future post, just hit the Contact Us button and let me know what you need. Enjoy your LED grow lights!